Democracy now fully international

August 16th, 2006 by admin

We’re gearing up for our next big release with a huge feature that’s been coming for a long time: Internationalization. This means that users from around the world can enjoy Democracy in their native language. The coding of this feature is all wrapped up, and now all that’s left are the translations. Some of you have been following our early translation process, and a few devoted volunteers helped us translate early drafts in languages like Spanish, French, Dutch, Romanian, and more.

As we add more features, we come up with new phrases and words that need to be translated. As of today, the number of strings that need translation has more than doubled, and we’ll be adding more with every new release. We’re calling out to anyone who speaks a non-english language to help make Democracy a global phenomenon. You can translate as much or as little as you want here:

Democracy Translation Center

Simply by logging in and using the super-easy web interface. Every little bit helps, and every translated string puts us one step closer to our goal. If you’ve translated before, or if you want to get started, now’s the time to lend a helping hand.

If anyone has any questions about the translation process, or needs help starting a new language, feel free to email oppy at pculture.org

7 Responses to “Democracy now fully international”

1. SlugO says:

Well, I did it. I finished the Finnish translation of which Pohjanheimo had done about 80%. And it’s the first language to be complete :D

Does this mean we’ll get 0.9 in Finnish? :)

2. Greg Opperman says:

I saw today that somebody had finished up Finnish (excuse the wordplay). Thanks so much for your help. It does mean that you can use Democracy in Finnish for 0.9.0. Once again, thanks for all of the hard work.

3. SlugO says:

Great :D

The biggest problem I had with the translation was guessing whether variables can be tampered with at all. I chose not to.

An example:
    “The fall of $shortAppName??” would actually translate as “$shortAppNamen tuho??” since “of” translates to “n” (or “:n” more officially) in the end of the word. But I thought that it would mess up the variable so I didn’t dare to add it. Now the Finnish translation works but looks a bit clunky for that part.

But it’s just a small detail. Looking forward to next release! :)

4. Greg Opperman says:

Yeah, variable names can’t be tampered with (FYI for future translators)

5. Craig says:

What are some of the good channels here? This is a very interesting concept.

6. Greg Opperman says:

That’s a tough question. There are over 500 channels on our channel guide alone, and thousands more on the internet at large that you can subscribe to in Democracy. It depends on what you like. Some of my favorites are Telemusicvision, Democracy Now, and Channel Frederator.

7. Dave

Interesting topic… I’m working in this industry myself and I don’t agree about this in 100%, but I added your page to my bookmarks and hope to see more interesting articles in the future