Democracy Player 0.9.5 RC0

January 31st, 2007 by Nicholas Reville

We have just posted the first Release Candidate for Democracy Player 0.9.5. Can you help us test it? There’s a lot of new stuff.

Democracy Player 0.9.5 RC0

If you find any bugs, let us know: New Bug Report

15 Responses to “Democracy Player 0.9.5 RC0”

1. Herb says:

This is great.I love it. But I am wondering just how do you make money???

2. Nicholas says:

Herb– we’re a non-profit organization. For now, we’re funding by donations from individuals and foundations.

3. gRegor says:

One major drawback of the software, in my opinion, is that you cannot do anything while watching a video or (particularly) while listening to a podcast. It’d be nice if I could edit playlists/browse through other channels while listening to a podcast. Just a suggestion.

4. Grant says:

I love the software, I haven’t tried 0.9.5, and I agree with Gregor.

5. Grant says:

I forgot to mention, I think the solution is to allow videos to be played in an external program.

6. gRegor says:

That would work – or at least an optional “pop-out” window. If I could run it all from one app (Democracy), all the better.

Does the software do some sort of level boosting on mp3s? My podcasts sound louder and slightly distorted (sort of static-y) when I listen to them in Democracy, but fine in other audio programs.

I also wanted to say that after playing around a bit with 0.95 I really like the GUI updates.

7. Matt Cox says:

Heya,

I’ve not long started using version 0.8.4.1 on Ubuntu. First impressions are that it’s a real cool program; when it’s not busy crashing.

However, I would like to see a better way of finding good content. I can check the most popular, but other than that, searching through the categories doesn’t result in much.

I find there’s a lot of American crap that I’d never ever want to watch. I notice you can browse by ‘Language’, but wouldn’t it be more apt to browse by region. That way we’d see more of what’s targeted towards each individual too; I know there’s a lot of British comedy, for example, that Americans might not necessarily find funny (or lose references), and vise versa. Alternatively, a region function would be great for the news channels.

I’ll keep tuned into Democracy. ;)

Coxy

Hi Matt,

0.8.4.1 is a very old version– unfortunately that’s what’s in the Ubuntu repositories. We’re going to be setting up our own repository soon, so keep your eye out for that or go to the download page and get the latest Ubuntu version that way. 0.9.1 is much more stable that the version you have.

Also, we are going to be doing some work soon to improve the Channel Guide, making it easier to find good stuff.

nicholas

9. Alistair George says:

Would be great to be able to save the stored videos in for example DIVX format.

10. Matt Cox says:

Cheers Nicholas, for the reply. I updated to the latest version; and it won’t play the videos at all now. It just crashes on every video when I hit play.

I’ll play about with it a bit more; hopefully I can get it working. :/

11. Mike says:

Is this project related to yours? http://www.libertv.ro/

or it’s a rip off? You should investigate it, as it looks pretty similar with democracy player.

12. TakeyMcTaker says:

Are there any changelogs, or other indications of new features or bugfixes? I want to help test, but I like knowing what I’m getting into, especially with RC builds.

BTW, I love 0.9.2.1. It gets a little sluggish now and then, but so far nothing major. Keep up the good work.

I hope one day to contribute to the torrent and/or multi-source download managers (MetaLinks?), possibly to make things more streamy. Or I’ll just donate so someone else can do it. I’m both time and cash poor right now. :)

13. Michael F says:

been using this new RC version for PC for the past two days, and so far so good! installed easily over the previously installed version with no problems. and no loss of channel feeds, preference settings, etcetera.

aside from some (relatively minor) UI changes, the thing i like best about this version is the fact that it automatically creates separate labeled folders for each of your feeds. nice. now if the PC version could just get that sweet mac fullscreen UI. ;)

will keep testing and offer any useful feedback i might have. thanks and keep up the great work!

14. ASL says:

I have a lot of prob with RC 95c. It is very slow on my G4 1,4 ghz and 70 videos always unwatched after watched its. Weird? I tried to come back 9.2 but it seems it cannot read data bases. How do i do to resolve it ?

15. roland says:

Hey guys, could you check:
    - the develop-server…obviously down.
    - the repository…getting not found error on check-out
    thanks in advance.