Democracy Player 0.9.5 Released

February 13th, 2007 by Nicholas Reville

We have just released version 0.9.5 of Democracy Player. This is a major update, with lots of new features and an interface overhaul.

Download it here: Democracy Player 0.9.5

_______________________________________

What’s new in this version:

Refined interface. simpler, smoother, easier to use.

Share menu. New ‘share’ menu on each item lets you email a video or post to Video Bomb, del.icio.us, Digg, or Reddit.

Partial proxy support. We are halfway done with proxy support. You should be able to use Democracy Player with no problems, but you won’t be able to access the Channel Guide from within the player. You can get to the channel guide on the web here.

VLC 0.8.6 on Windows. We’ve upgraded the version of VLC that powers Democracy Player for Windows. This version has much better flash video support for sites like YouTube.

Videos stored in folders by channel. Videos that you download from video feeds will now be stored in a folder with the name of the channel. This should keep things much more organized.

Pause / Resume downloads. Long awaited! You can now pause and resume any download or all downloads.

Better BitTorrent support. BitTorrent performance is significantly improved.

Show seeding on torrents. In the downloading tab, you can see all the torrents you are currently seeding and you can stop them if you choose to.

Drop-down for auto-download. There’s a new drop-down menu on each channel that let’s you set the Auto-Download mode without going into the channel settings.

Thumbnail generation on OSX. On Mac, if you have downloaded a video that doesn’t have a thumbnail, we will make one automatically.

‘Details’ section. Each video item has a ‘details’ button that will show you any additional information we have about the video. This includes details about torrent status, the filename of the video, the full description, etc.

Retry downloads on network errors. If your internet connection gets interrupted or if something else goes wrong with a download, Democracy Player will automatically retry. Very helpful.

Bug fixes and other little touches.

That’s a lot of new stuff, let us know what you think!

A COUPLE FINAL NOTES

-As we move closer to version 1.0, we are focusing more and more on bug fixing. If you find any bugs in Democracy Player, please tell us by filing a bug report. The more details you can give, the better.

-Mac users: there is a rare bug on mac that prevents the application from launching. We will be switching the Democracy Player database in the next version to correct this. For now, you can get the application to launch again by deleting this folder: open your Home folder (it has a picture of a house on it), then go to the Library folder, then the Application Support folder. Once you are there, find the folder called ‘Democracy Player’ and drag it to the trash.

-Ubuntu users: we now have our own repositories to help you stay up to date more easily. Add it once and you’ll find out whenever we update. How to install on Ubuntu.

65 Responses to “Democracy Player 0.9.5 Released”

1. Correction!

Apparently the update didn’t apply correctly, and I was still running the previous version. After applying the update (User Error Correction) :) All is right with the world, and Democracy loads super fast now!

Thanks D-Team!

Mark “G.I.Jersey”
    BrokenEggsMedia.com

Hi Mark– glad to hear this version is working better for you. We are going to be working to speed up load time on a future version, but I can’t predict exactly when.

3. Boris says:

I wish you that your “pioneer”-software grows to THE reference for video-players at v1.0.
    Therefore two minor bugs (in the german installed version):

1.: The Progamname in the taskbar is shown as “$langerProgName”

2.:when opening Hilfe->Über Democracy Player (=help->about…) it says:
    XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
    Location: chrome://dtv/content/about.xul
    Line Number 12, Column 4:
    —^

Much Luck in finding the bugs;)

4. Steven says:

Is there any way to add my whole “My Videos” folder at once? At the moment I can only add them one at a time which is quite a task

5. Steven says:

Just an addition above, the mpeg playback seems to be very grainy and in one case it just doesn’t work at all

6. jml says:

Since upgrading to 0.95 on my Core Duo Mac Mini at OSX 10.4.9, I’m seeing a great (and increased from previous) deal of beachballing.

Others?

7. Aymeric says:

I’ve been having the same “File Not Found” problem with Google video as user Abaddon and as reported here :

It started a couple days ago, and happens with any search term. No file can be downloaded, even though the videos exist on the google website.

Running windows XP SP2, and Democracy 0.9.5.2.

8. greg says:

PROBLEM 1:
    Redundant copies of videos I’ve already downloaded appear again and again, each time I launch Democracy Player; even if I delete the duplicates, they reappear. I have auto-download NEW for youtube searches saved as a channel. I don’t know if DP is downloading the same videos again and again or simply adding duplicate entries to its list but this is annoying.

PROBLEM 2:
    I cannot choose a filename for downloads from youtube.
    I would like to be able to browse downloaded files with ZoomPlayer and have some kind of meaningful file names instead of gibberish. It would be really nice if DP could use the title of the file on youtube as part of the filename, for example.

PROBLEM 3:
    I cannot DELETE an item from a youtube search saved as a channel. Oftentimes these searches on keywords contain spam, which I’d like to manually delete from the channel so it won’t get downloaded automatically.

PROBLEM 4:
    DP says there is a ‘new version’ available every time I startup but the latest version is 0.9.5 and this is the same version I am running

Thanks

9. Janet says:

Hi Greg – here’s are the quick answers to your reported problems, I’ll get back to you later on the other two.

1. Duplicates: There is an open ticket for that #4905 in the tracker. It is one of our priority tickets to get fixed.

4. Available Version: If you are currently running 0.9.5 – you may be getting that message because there were a few updates. Windows is now at 0.9.5.2 and OS X 0.9.5.1.

10. Janet says:

2. Rename files: There is a Save File as, ticket assigned to our wishlist (#4160). I am not sure where that falls in the list of features to be implemented. Storing items in a directory named after the parent channel is the most recent improvment towards file organization.

3. Delete feed items: Your best bet would be to make a new ticket for this as a feature request. I am not sure how possible it is because the feeds are generated based on the search parameters.

11. Hoby says:

0.9.5 for the Mac keeps crashing while downloading videos. I managed to keep it open by pausing all but 1 or 2 downloads. If I leave it downloading more, it crashes within a minute or two.

12. Hoby says:

I’ve also put that in as a trouble ticket.

13. Perma says:

Ubuntu Edgy user here … your repo tells me a 0.9.5.3 version should be available (after sudo apt-get update) but the repo doesn’t have it (404 error after sudo apt-get upgrade). The repo only seems to have 0.9.5.1. Here’s the repo I’m talking about:
    deb http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/pculture.org/democracy/linux/repositories/ubuntu edgy/

14. monty says:

Doesn’t work on Vista. Same problem as last version. No Video, only audio. Very disapointed.

15. Hannah Montana tickets…

THANKS!,Awesome Site,Great Point, Excellent Post, Great Blog, Cool Info…