Mac Users: Can’t launch Democracy Player? Try this testing version.

March 15th, 2007 by Nicholas Reville

We’ve switched the type of database that we use in Democracy Player to avoid a bug in the previous database that prevents the mac version from launching for a small number of users.

If you are a mac user and can’t get the app to launch, try using today’s testing build: March 15 OSX Testing Version.

If the mac version is working for you, we don’t recommend that you use this testing version. It is very likely that it contains new bugs and could cause problems. We only suggest it for people that can’t get the previous version to work at all.

So if you’re one of those folks that can’t use the app on OSX, let me know if this does or doesn’t work. We especially want to hear from any folks that still can’t launch Democracy Player even with this new version.

13 Responses to “Mac Users: Can’t launch Democracy Player? Try this testing version.”

1. hfashina says:

I sill can’t get it to work properly. When I launch the app, I get errors and all my downloads hang on “Starting up”

2. Jacinto says:

I’m experience a similar problems on the windows side. Democracy just won’t launch.

3. Super Weiss says:

I’ve been trying to use Democracy for a long time now and have really enjoyed the client when it works. However, you guys are quickly losing the confidence of your beta guinea pigs. I know it’s not even a 1.0 product yet, but the crash and issues that arise with each new version are getting unbearable. Everytime I download a new version hoping it fixes old bugs, I find my database no longer works or the program won’t even launch. How are you going to have a 1.0 launch if you’ve already lost the interest of the early adopters who have been running into bug after bug. I’m excited about improvement in the software, but not when it won’t even run on my machine. You guys really need to examine your testing and quality assurance issues, I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels like giving this software up. I’ll happily discuss this with someone in more detail if necesary, but I really think you should consider this a wake-up call and reprioritize. I’m embarassed for you guys when I see these blog posts coming out after each new point release. If it’s not the Mac client that breaks, it’s Windows or who knows what else… Please take some time to more seriously consider this issue. It looks horribly unprofessional when your software is regularly damaging users’ video databases. I don’t know what else to say, I’m just frustrated and I meant to write in about this 3 versions ago.

4. Tyler says:

I may be in the minority here, but I can say that for the first time, Democracy finally works for me.

5. Tony says:

Hmmm well it now works, but I have lost all my pre-set channels. The files i had already downloaded are available to watch but my channel settings are gone which is annoying as some of the feeds required passwords.

Still it’s better than it was.

6. Daniel Egger says:

I’m also mildly annoyed by the fact that the recent releases cause nothing but trouble for me. Except for taking ages to start up on my MBP 17″, the previous subrelease had the Camino Plugin InputManager Crasher and I still have the waste of CPU cycles problem and frequent crashes in the video playback (or rather colorspace conversion code) even during pause but much more likely during playback effectively forcing me to always use an external video player.

Daniel– what version of OSX are you using?

8. Vincent Ross says:

After I switched from my PB G4 to a new MBP Democracy stopped working. The fix that worked for me was trashing Democracy’s folder in: users/username/Library/Application Support

After that it works, but it did not remember what I had previously viewed in my collection

It worked for me, your mileage may vary…

9. Ricardo says:

It’s finally working for me :)
    I’ll just have to search for all my old feeds that got lost again :P

10. The previous release simply hung during launch as if it were trying to check a channel and couldn’t complete. This release seems to work just fine.

11. Daniel Egger says:

Previously I had 10.4.8, now I have 10.4.9.

12. fred blog says:

Afraid it doesnt work for me either, Democracy opens, but after around 5 seconds it crashes on the mac …

13. janet says:

Fred – could you please send to me a copy of your dtv-log file? jed@pculture.org.