Test the All-New Channel Guide

March 26th, 2007 by Nicholas Reville

We’ve rewritten the Channel Guide from scratch to be faster and easier to use. Best of all, this new code is a solid foundation for adding more features over the next few months including good rating and sharing systems.

In the next week, this will replace the current Channel Guide. But until then, we could use your help testing to make sure everything is working ok.

To test the new Channel Guide, go to the ‘Channels’ menu and pick “New Channel Guide”. Then paste in this URL:

Let us know what you think! And definitely let me know if you see anything that’s not working right.

CAVEATS: data submitted to this guide will be lost when we make the switch. For example, you can submit new channels for testing purposes, but they won’t last long. This guide is only for testing purposes right now. Also, we’re playing with speed optimizations, so the site might be intermittently slow or zippy. We’ll have things moving smoothly before the guide goes live.

16 Responses to “Test the All-New Channel Guide”

1. guolii says:

Add Channel don’t work!
    Democrycy return:

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
    Location: chrome://mozapps/content/downloads/unknownContentType.xul
    Line Number 28, Column 18: &intro.label;

My system is:
    intel 686
    512M RAM
    Windows XP SP2 Chinese zh_CN
    Democracy0.9.5.3

2. Mayur says:

Its better in some ways (a better set of sorting and organizing feeds) but you have to lose the white on dark for readability. Dark on white is much easier on the eyes (well mine anyways). Also, please consider that when viewing on a TV screen, the text is too small. Oh.. and THANK YOU for fixing the search. Overall, its certainly an improvement. Well done.

Hi Mayur,

I think you are right about readability. This design kind of evolved in a disorganized way for a few different reasons. We’re hoping to either keep evolving it or simply overhaul. Hopefully in the next couple months. Glad you noticed the improved search, I think that will make the biggest difference of anything.

Guolii,

We’re looking into this, thanks for letting me know.

nicholas

4. isaacg says:

It would be nice if there was a filter for language so those of us slackers who only know one language can find what we can understand easier. :) Maybe instead of having a Languages tab just make it a dropdown that applies to whatever page you’re viewing. It’s probably not the easiest thing to do but it would be more logical and useful.

5. j says:

you still list the oldest items from the feeds, it says
    “Recent Videos on this Channel” would be nice if that would be so.

Having a global “Recent Videos” view with the latest videos from all channels would be nice too.

6. Petersen says:

I like, though, what I didn’t understand from the beginning is, why you had to include the “back” / “forward” buttons and the throbber in the actual HTML page, instead of in the player itself.
    Thus, these icons always “flash”, when a new page is loaded.

About the new design: It looks good and is at some places better a lot done than the old one (slide show of featured feeds, top bar with a menu), but
    a) I think you should decide either for red or for blue (I’d decide for red at the top, and some less saturated color below (in accordance to the views of the people who ask for better readability)
    b) you shouldn’t include such a large section for the news / submit a channel thing at the bottom

7. PhoenixP3K says:

The new beta cg is clean and really nice. Much better than the previous version. Zudeo killer? I would start to think so!

8. Ben says:

Hi all, thanks for all the helpful comments. I fixed the item ordering. Also, I took a look at the windows code and I realize that it’s a bug in democracy when adding a second channel guide. It’ll get fixed for 0.9.6, but in the for now I guess subscribing to channels just won’t work on windows.

Just to clarify what Ben said above: subscribing to channels on windows will work when this is the primary guide. It won’t work when this is added as a secondary guide (during this beta period).

10. chris says:

Hi um when you ment about the channels about not adding the second guide is there a way to cover the old or is for the moment is the mac functioning with the beta channel. I have 9.5.2 on windows xp and i added and then it trys to load and then its just a blank screen.

11. Robbie says:

Well I see a big white space when I try to use this beta channel guide…

Robbie

12. Anon says:

Also getting just a blank white page using Democracy Player 0.9.5.1 on Ubuntu.

13. Ryogan says:

this error appear when i’m starting the program:

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
    Location: chrome://dtv/content/main.xul
    Line Number 8, Column 1:

14. kungfu says:

It’s the same for me !

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
    Location: chrome://dtv/content/main.xul
    Line Number 8, Column 1:

From now I am stuck. U’have been trying to re-install an older version or the same version and nothing changed.

Could you indicate a workaround, and the way to solve the problem ? Please !

on a WinXP SP 2 / democracy 9.5.3

15. Innit…
    Exactly the same 4 me as the guys over me…
    is there a solution allready??
    been checkin’ out on it quite a couple of times, but it didn’t work out yet!

16. ben dover says:

I also just get a blank white page when trying to use it. I'm very unimpressed so far.