Feisty support on the way

April 19th, 2007 by Nicholas Reville

Ubuntu Feisty has been released and Democracy Player isn’t totally compatible right now. But we are very close to release of Democracy Player 0.9.6 which will support Feisty. Sorry for the wait.

15 Responses to “Feisty support on the way”

1. Justin says:

I’ve been using Feisty almost exclusively for the past few months, and have given up Democracy player after discovering it wasn’t compatible. Needless to say… I’m now very happy :)

2. Ketil says:

But version 0.9.2 is in the repos. Using it right now…
    I just had to delete my user settings in order to go from 0.9.5 to 0.9.2

- Ketil

3. Roel says:

That is good news! Looking forward!

4. Will says:

Ketil, are you using Feisty? I just upgraded and noticed that Democracy doesn’t work. Kinda bummed. How did you install an older version?

5. Shilen Patel says:

Great News, I was freakin out cos i wanted to watch the new 1up show!!!! Now I jus gotta wait a little bit!

6. janet says:

If you don’t want to wait for 0.9.6, the 0.9.2.1 version is available via the Feisty repositories. If you have a more recent version and want to go back – you can uninstall it using the Synaptic package manager. Just search for democracy. Also you will have to remove the .democracy directory. It should be in your home directory, unless you installed Democracy as root.

Once that is removed you can install democracy just as easily using the Synaptic package manager. Check out https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats for instructions on how to install packages required for playback of common multimedia formats.

The other cool thing I noticed is that that .flv videos I downloaded via YouTube now have the sound that was missing under Edgy.

7. anonymous says:

Just a quick suggestion. I’ve been using Kubuntu Feisty for a while now and I’ve been avoiding democracy player because of the huge number of gnome dependencies. Maybe democracyplayer is based on gnome but if not it sure would be nice if I could install it without it taking 50 additional packages and 80MB of space. Yes, I should file a ticket but I think the blog gets read more.

8. slb says:

I’m sure I’m the only one who wonders these things, but is there some way to get democracyTV to use VLC under Linux? VLC works much better for me than most players, and it is a little annoying to have to switch windows to load up the actual video.

9. anonymous says:

No, you’re not the only one. I filed a bug about that months ago (it’s considered a wishlist item). It’s far too common to have a video work on 1 platform but fail on another because the windows, mac, and linux versions each use a different underlying video system. The best thing would be to use vlc in all cases. I expect it will happen eventually but I understand that a lot of time has been put into the current code and so it’s not likely to change anytime soon. And there are probably more important things to work on but it is something I would prefer to see sooner rather than later. But the developers are hard working and have an impressive product so can’t fault them for not being perfect yet.

10. Will says:

Janet, I have searched the Synaptic and Add/Remove programs and all it is showing is version 9.5.1. How do I go about finding the right version in the repossitories and installing via apt?

11. Thijs says:

Hey Will,

I believe you have to remove/disable the ‘third party’ repository you added for democracy player. If you reload your sources after that, it should show 9.2 in your synaptic!

12. Will says:

Thijs, thanks so much for the info, I appreciate your help. Ya! It works!

13. Niels Walta says:

So… when can we look forward to this version 0.9.6?

Greetings
    a patiently waiting Feisty-user.

14. Jason says:

Can you stick OPML export into this next version? I’ve been disappointed with the user experience with Democracy under Vista, so I went to shift everything over to my Ubuntu partition but found that I couldn’t easily transfer my channels.

15. Conrad says:

Could you please be more specific about when the new player will be ready?

Its a real shame that i have to go onto xp to use Democracy after installing it in Feisty only to find it crash again and again. Would be nice to have a launcher in Applications Menu too