Help Us Pick a Channel Guide Feature

June 22nd, 2007 by Dean Jansen

We have a ton of cool ideas and plans for the Channel Guide. Unfortunately, we are forced to take one step at a time.

Below are two possible features; we’d like your help deciding which one we should start with. If is better than the other, make sure you leave a comment saying so (bonus points for telling us why).

Feature A: People who Subscribed to this Channel Also Subscribed to…

This is easy to conceptualize, but would actually take a little more time to implement than Feature B. Amazon (below) is a popular example of this feature.

Others Liked This

When looking at any channel’s details, an user will be presented with three more channels (w/ nice looking thumbnails) based on what others have subscribed to (calculated with anonymous statistics).

Feature B: Shareable ‘Favorite Channels’ List

This feature would allow users to keep a list of their favorite channels, to be shared. With a single click, another user could potentially subscribe to one or all of the channels in the list. Users’ favorite lists could be featured in the channel guide (so if your list got popular, it could climb to the top of the guide).

Top List

We didn’t find anything that seemed to exactly match this idea, although MOG (above) has a somewhat similar feature that allows peoples’ favorite songs to get listed.

What Do You Think?

Which of these features do you think you would use more? Which one seems most exciting? What would you do if you were us?

22 Responses to “Help Us Pick a Channel Guide Feature”

1. Jacinto says:

Feature A. It makes a lot more sense at the moment. It would certainly help users build up their repertoire of channels as new ones are presented to based on what they already like or looking into.

2. Herkamer says:

Feature A, most definetly.

3. Brad Pitcher says:

Feature A would be great!

4. Mike says:

Feature A. Subscribing is something I do for my own selfish reasons; marking something as “shared” has no benefit to me directly, so I’m less likely to remember to do it.

5. Chadd says:

Feature A…I echo Jacinto in that it would help build channel lists for people they could later input into a feature B scheme.

6. Dean Jansen says:

Hmmm so this is looking pretty unanimous.

I was actually more in favor of A myself (and I’m not just saying that ^_^).

Thank you all for your input, it’s great to know we can get such immediate feedback!

7. Stuart says:

Feature A would probably be worth it more right now.

8. Ryan says:

I vote for Feature A. It makes much more sense to get a “recommendation” for a channel from a bunch of different people subscribing to it than from one popular person.

If there were a way to share my channels, I would likely not use it, unless it provided some way to publish the list on my blog, in a sidebar widget or some such thing.

And seeing as you asked, yes, I would love it if this could all integrate with Digg Podcasting somehow :D

9. stimulator says:

Feature A for sure

10. Nathan Jones says:

I rarely use the Channel Guide. To me, is a distraction that automatically comes up when all I want to do is get to the channels I’ve already subscribed to. (Maybe I can disable it somehow, and just load it when I want it.)

But to answer your question: Feature A would be worth implementing when you have the resources to do so. (Get Miro out first!)

11. Shilen says:

Both these features sound epic!!!!

12. Dean Jansen says:

Ryan: How would you envision a Digg/Democracy integration happening?

Nathan: We’re going to have Miro *really* soon!

I can see how a person might want to avoid opening directly into the channel guide. However, it would be a fairly advanced setting — most fresh users rely on the channel guide. We’ll do some thinking here.

stim, Stuart & Shilen: yep, yep and yep :)

13. deQuire says:

Feature A. Seems more useful for now.

14. paul27 says:

I second all the post above: Feature A

Much more useful.

15. David says:

Feature A. It would also be the one used by more people than Feature B as it would be more useful to me to find similar channels to what I allreadly like, than what someone else likes.

16. Peter says:

I would definitely use Feature A, but probably not Feature B.

17. John says:

User A sounds better to me. It would help me find things that would appeal to me. I would never use feature B if it was implemented…

18. Charbax says:

Feature A please. And with a way to rate actual episodes and thus get not only recommendations for other channels to check out but also to the exact most recommended episode to download first.

Also a feature that would be awesome would be to automatically download for example 1GB of fresh content based on recommendations. A simple Green button for a video that is liked and a Red button to ban it and try not to get that kind of content recommended in the future. If possible Miro should use BitTorrent even if the original poster hasn+t integrated Broadcast Machine, so there should be a service for broadcasters to use where they can choose how much bandwidth should be seeded on their http server and how much should be handled by peer-to-peer.

19. Dean says:

Charbax,

Thanks for your suggestions!

We’re working towards having ratings for episodes and channels alike, and we will be doing something similar to your recommendations idea. It’ll be a bit closer to netflix, to begin, but I could easily see integrating some kind of auto-subscribe feature that would create a dynamic channel of rateable videos. It’d be cool!

As for your last idea, I’m having a tough time conceptualizing it, although it sounds interesting. Is it possible to throw up an item on a regular http server and then point to it w/ a .torrent file? If so, there are a LOT of cool things I can think of that we could do.

20. sg says:

A & Charbax

21. Sparky says:

> http server and then point to it w/ a .torrent file?

I believe blog torrent is one method to to create webseeded torrents

22. Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!Preserve democracy!!!v