What’s New in Miro Public Preview 1

July 17th, 2007 by Nicholas Reville

This launch brings lots of new stuff.

We have a new name (Miro) and a new logo designed by Jon Hicks (who did the Firefox logo). Our new website has been updated throughout with better, more focused, and more up to date info. Our forums are totally new and way better. The channel guide has move to miroguide.com and has a whole new look (it’s still designed to be used primarily inside the app).

And most importantly, this version of Miro is much improved.

New features in Public Preview 1 (0.9.8)

• Keyboard shortcuts on all platforms. This should allow remote controls to be configured to control Miro.
  • Improved system tray functionality on Windows, including a context menu.
  • Added a new ‘report a bug’ menu item.
  • Adds Veoh.com as a search engine.

Bug fixes

• Fixed behavior when maximizing on Windows (won’t cover up the taskbar).
  • Smarter importing and folder watching to avoid adding audio files.
  • Removed Yahoo as a search engine, since most results did not link to enclosures.
  • Fixed a memory leak.
  • Fixed several unicode errors.
  • Fixed miscounting of new and unwatched items in folders.
  • Minor UI fixes, including name changes to sidebar items and new Miro Guide logo.
  • Many other small fixes.

All in all, this is the most stable and polished version yet.

23 Responses to “What’s New in Miro Public Preview 1”

1. Asa Dotzler says:

Absolutely, this is the best release yet. The new branding across the product and the website are also great. I’ve just registered for the forums so that I can start giving more feedback.

- A

2. quicker says:

Thank you, great works.

3. Ryan says:

Should I update democracy to miro now? Or will the update be pushed out.

Ryan– what platform are you on? We’re having an issue with the auto-mac updater due to the name change. But either way, yes, you should update manually for sure.

5. Rohan says:

Current firefox version on Fedora 7 is 2.0.0.4. The rpm fails dependency check because the .spec file specifies version 2.0.0.3.

6. Felipe Cerda says:

Contragulations! Democracy is awesome, keep up the good work.

7. [...] Вышел паблик релиз Miro (в девичестве Democracy Player). Исправлены мелкие недочеты, а так же небольшие улучшения такие как работа шорткатов для версий под все ОС, лучшая работа с треем в Windows и так далее. [...]

8. Ryan says:

I’m on Windows XP SP2. Democracy probably hasn’t checked for an update due to my not having restarted in a few days. I guess that I’m slightly apprehensive because I really loved the last release (though I’m really wanting those keyboard shortcuts).

9. LinuxTOY says:

Miro 0.9.8 Public Preview 1 发布

Miro 原来名为 Democracy Player,这是继改名之后首次发布的公开预览版本。Miro 的功能包括:支持播放任意格式的视频文件,让你通过 RSS 订阅尽享网络 TV 的魅力,可以下载并保存 YouTube 网站上的…

10. SlugO says:

I have the same problem that mirox mentioned in the same topic that’s on getdemocracy.com, the program simply won’t start. I haven’t used Democracy much recently but I think that it hasn’t started since atleast 0.96.

I really don’t have any idea why Democracy/Miro won’t start, it worked fine before.

11. adlerweb says:

For all Gentoo-Users here a quick and dirty ebuild for Miro 0.9.8:

12. Matt says:

Yeah, Miro looks good

13. yemmi says:

miro on fedora 7 won’t install!

it ask for firefox 2.0.0.3 dependecnies while i ahve firefox 2.0.0.5 installed from official fedora repo WTF??

14. [...] video download tool and player Democracy Player has a new name, Miro, and has pushed out a new public preview. Check out how I download my favorite TV shows via BitTorrent with [...]

15. [...] Public Preview ha lanzado una nueva versión de su reproductor y agregador, ahora está disponible para Windows, Mac OS X y Linux, gracias en [...]

16. [...] video download tool and player Democracy Player has a new name, Miro, and has pushed out a new public preview. Check out how I download my favorite TV shows via BitTorrent with [...]

17. NigelmNig says:

The exception is of course Mr. video wireless module But Archibald taught me something else. milena velba videos Basil was finally invited to Spain to meet Manuel’s family. arcade games download This is known as Muller’s ratchet. mobile home repair chicago I believe that was an appropriate remedy. just like home I prefer to have large amounts of air move across the room.

18. nighsnigh says:

Then there’s the film version. specialty sports DownloadCategories: sound art I am enjoying this one. games wholesaler The range must be an electric range. break dancing video clips I don’t understand all the fuss about butch dikes. sonoma california golf courses Towards the end of the series she had gotten over her fear. concrete raised gardens Walter is now 79 years of age and in excellent health.

19. nighsnigh says:

Production increases and there is better customer service. kitchen cabinet refinish Photo Definition The location the photo was taken. industrial float valves Pharrm reps more in demand than doctors? rockymountain atv Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. power shower Humour is in most cases a linguistic phenomenon. books by stephanie meyer Look at the ECOmmodore, read the label and watch the video.

20. nighsnigh says:

Felicia ended up in the bottom two with Dionne. audio mixer download From the attic came an unearthly howl. vanessa williams video Bellocq comes by with his camera. free jizzbomb movies Extend opposite leg straight back. geico commercial music Felix’s great success also spawned a host of imitators. watch discovery health online Clay and Jed appear and reluctantly offer to help Catherine.

21. Arrorddok says:

The industry employs thousands of women and children. club west golf course Photo jigsaw puzzles are a favored Valentine’;s Day gift. ancient egyptian musical instruments Prey is fearful of predators. honda automotive Scientific American Frontiers . mobile home repossessions Locate the folder where your images are located. john deere kids He spent 2 weeks in the hospital at birth.

22. Arrorddok says:

Paramedics later pronounced them dead. patio accessories How long does it take, on average, to be reimbursed? strawberries music store locations Ahh, why are we so stubborn sometimes? demonology video All I was trying to say was help! free samsung mobile games S is analogous to the entropy of a thermal system. square dancing shoes The voltage is varied by a resistor in the hand controller.