Planning Miro’s Future Extension System

August 5th, 2007 by Dean Jansen

While we have no date set, we do plan on putting an extensions system into Miro.

Currently, we see a number of ways to tackle this problem. Our approach will largely dictate what the extensions will be capable of and how difficult they are to build. Your input will be very helpful in guiding our decisions.

What amazing things will you do with Miro’s extension system? Do you want Miro to automatically search for networked folders and pull in videos that are detected? Are custom skins important? Do you just want to change the default hotkeys?

Another thing that will help us is knowing the technical abilities of people interested in extensions. Will you be building it yourself? Hiring someone? Begging strangers? Have you written in Python? C? PHP?

If we build a system, who will come?

Ongoing input will be accepted in our new forum section: Extension Dreams Please try to give as much detail as possible in your posts.

9 Responses to “Planning Miro’s Future Extension System”

1. Devlin Foster says:

an extension to mark a video as viewed.

Devlin– this is probably something we’ll do as a feature. We have a right-click option to mark as unwatched and we should add one to mark as watched.

3. William Maggos says:

an extension like the audioscrobbler used with last.fm, for video

4. naturalblue says:

I think it would be a great idea to have a conversion tool. I use the neuros OSD and although it supports mp4. It will only play some of the files downloaded by miro. This is obviously a codec thing. Until more codecs are supported by OSD, it would be nice to be able to set miro to transcode downloaded files to a different format (say xvid). \this could have a global setting aswell as a channel setting, the same way that it is with file retention.

5. JoeBorn says:

I too would love a conversion tool, I happen to do this same thing myself, I’m transcoding downloads so I can share them with the family on the TV, please let us know if there’s anything we can do to help with this. #neuros or jborn at neurostechnology dot com if there’s anything we can do to help

6. Dean Jansen says:

William,

Something like the audioscrobbler would be very cool — we might even try integrating something like this into Miro and the Miro Guide.

naturalblue,

This is exactly the sort of thing that would be perfect for an extension.

JoeBorn,

I will definitely get in touch with you when we get closer to implementing the extension system — we would love to work with you on something like this (and you and I have met in IRC, so I have your contact info ready to go).

7. JeanFrancois says:

Language Packs would be nice.

8. Dean Jansen says:

JeanFrancois,

Miro has language support built in. All of the translation is done by volunteers: http://www.getmiro.com/code/translate/

9. Rui Pires says:

An extension to scan rss feeds and select the best source for a particular episode of a show, would be very nice.

Something like ted (torrent episode downloader ted.nu), but integrated in miro.

I tried doing this with yahoo pipes, but they were stripping the enclosure tag right off the feeds :(