What We’re Working On

August 21st, 2007 by Nicholas Reville

We released Miro Public Preview 1 last month and we’ll be releasing Public Preview 2 in the next week or so. After that comes Miro 1.0.

There aren’t many major new features in these two upcoming versions, but the changes will make a big difference in your day-to-day experience with Miro. Above all, we’re fixing bugs, bugs, bugs, bugs. There aren’t many common bugs left, but even an occasional problem can be annoying and disrupt your flow.

But we’re also polishing the application in other ways. Here’s one example: we’ve overhauled the Windows preference panel, organizing everything into tabs. It looks great and is much more usable:

new miro windows preferences

Ahhh…. so much better.

14 Responses to “What We’re Working On”

1. Sam 89364 says:

Hey that DOES look much better.

You probably already thought about that, but I’ll mention it nonetheless… Try to make sure that the tabs can cope with future expansions to miro’s settings. It will be confusing if you have to add extra tabs in the next version of miro, or (even worse) rearrange the settings in a new tab layout.

Sam

2. l'esorciccio says:

I wonder if somebody asked for subtitles yet, or channel personalized save path…

3. David says:

I agree that you will have to be careful to allow for future expansion but I definitely think this is a good way to go as the ui looks better and becomes much easier for the use. It’s a bit like the options in mozilla products and the only downside I’ve noticed is the tabed options under the headings of the options, like “general”, in thunderbird.

4. Steve Thompson says:

Exporting Channels, I think is a must, (apart from stopping it hanging on the Miro guide!)

steve– we’re adding OPML import / export in this version. what kind of hands are you seeing in the guide?

6. Pawl says:

Glad to hear about bug fixing, as I am having A Lot of problems with Miro lately. Such as giving me pop up alerts of saving my database all the time, crashes, freezing etc. But, if there is a feature I would like to see is the option to resize Miro and have it always on top so we can watch videos while doing something else. As is right now is very limiting because you can’t do anything else besides using Miro.

Thank you for all your work.

7. devolute says:

Tabbed panels are probably a better idea, but all I see in that screenshot is dead space.

8. Steve Thompson says:

Im seeing no hands in the Linux version (Ubuntu Dapper) I start it on a scheduled task at 01:00am and it hangs on the guide, so I cant see the guide at all!

9. Patrick says:

I think the most needed feature is the abillity to throttle the downloadspeed.

10. Clay says:

One of the most annoying features so far, to me anyway, is that I can only mark them as watched by playing them. I export several of the videos to an mp3 player and would like to mark them as watched then. It’d also be nice to be able to right click and open with… so I can easily send videos to the sandisk converter.

Clay– that’s been annoying me too. We’ll be adding a menu / right-click menu for that sometime in the next couple months.

12. Steve Thompson says:

So, when is the next version of Miro out? and will it be 0.99? or 1.00?

steve– it will be 0.9.9 and it’s coming very soon.

14. Master Z says: