False Alarm: Avast AntiVirus

November 1st, 2007 by Dean Jansen

Attention all Avast AntiVirus users,

Avast is incorrectly identifying the latest version of Miro as a trojan (malware). We have looked into the matter and Avast is the only antivirus suite making this mistake — we are getting in touch with them to rectify this problem.

In the mean time, it is perfectly safe to ignore the error message and install Miro.

Update: We have Avast users reporting that an update to the antivirus software will allow proper installation of Miro.

14 Responses to “False Alarm: Avast AntiVirus”

1. [...] Scheinbar erkennt Avast die Installationsdatei als Malware [...]

2. gabbro says:

I experience a similar problem with G Data’s Anti Virus Kit, which claims having detected
    “Virus: Win32:Ranky-GW [Trj]”
    and I can only launch 0.9.9.9, after having temporarily turned off both Anti Virus-engines.

Still, thanks for the improved public preview and good luck with version 1.0!

3. Dave says:

Same problem with AVAST, can’t open the installer! Hopefully either you or AVAST will have this sorted soon, so I can get on with enjoying the new release.

4. janet says:

Hi – I have been in contact with Avast and sent them the link to the installer file. They have assured me that they will do their in-house analysis and have it corrected with their next update.

5. Andrew says:

I actually knew about the avast snarl up with the 0.999 update and still stupidly went ahead with it! Now i’ve got no access to channel Fred et al untill avast dain their time worthy to sort it out! I’m sure your very clever chaps and should have know this could happen?

Andrew– we’re going to try to find a way to test our releases with a bunch of anti-virus applications (there’s a lot out there!) before each release so that we can contact them in advance and this won’t happen again.

7. Dietmar says:

Ich hatte ebenfalls das Problem mit Avast. Nach den heutigen Updates habe ich mir die aktuelle Version Miros runtergeladen. Sie wird nicht mehr als Trojaner erkannt.

I had the same problem with Avast. After the today’s updates I downloaded the current version of Miro. It is not longer recognized as a trojan.

8. sarah trieste italy says:

I have Avast and although I have tried to download Miro several times (Democracy) I am still unable to add channels as the mesage comes up incomplete or damaged disc.

“there was an error opening
    htt:www.getmiro.com/blog/2007/11/false-alar-avast-antivirus/. Please try again in a few seconds”

However it still will not function if I try again.

9. Jim Vaglia says:

Where is the volume and other such controls such as trebble? No support for Real files?

10. Can not play above file with Quicktime checked.

11. Alex says:

There is nothing wrong with Miro! It is both safe and useful. The problem with Avast and other antivirus programs is that they often block access to new and unique software that they do not understand. Now that Miro's software is older and more trustworthy, Avast and other antivirus programs will allow access to it.

12. Antivirus says:

There is nothing wrong with Miro! Of course there is nothing dangerous, only helpful about it! The problem with Avast and other antivirus programs is that they often block access to new and unique software that they do not understand. Now that Miro's software is older and more trustworthy, Avast and other antivirus programs will allow access to it.

13. Antivirus says:

14. Patrick says:

Hi there,

I've scanned over a few files on my PC and McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i detects the installer as generic.lbg.hgw as trojan horse, found in the file 855.nsis.