YouTube Issues

October 24th, 2008 by Dean Jansen

YouTube made a few technical changes (a day or two ago) that affect Miro’s ability to access the videos. Our developers are working on a fix right now — we’ll keep you updated.

Update:

We should have a fix for the YouTube issue with version 1.2.8 (available for Windows, Mac, and Linux source): http://www.getmiro.com/download/

We’ll let you folks try it out and if everything’s kosher, we’ll push it through our automatic update system.

35 Responses to “YouTube Issues”

1. Enzo Cheung says:

Thank you so much ! As i found that all of the video in the list shown “file not found”. I just feel so scare and disappointed… I can’t imagine how if i can’t keep my favorite TG in my mac…

A millions of thank to all of the engineers.

Best regards

2. Chris in Portland says:

We get a ” Flash URL Scraping Error”, which is probably related to stupid Adobe’s recent Flash upgrade. Click on the ‘Details’ link on the very right-hand-side of the listings. Then you’ll see links to the original (YouTube) web page and the ‘direct link to file’ that DOES work.

3. Shawn Wheatley says:

@Chris in Portland: just tried on a couple YouTube videos I was trying to grab and the “direct link to file” still didn’t work. The link would launch fine in Firefox, but right-click->Download still gave the same “Flash URL Scraping Error” as before. I look forward to the fine engineers at Miro getting this all fixed ;)

4. John says:

John in Tampa here: Same problem. Any time frame on a fix? Thanks for the support!

5. Dean Jansen says:

Hey all, thanks for the feedback.

We’ve got a fix in the works and are testing to make sure it’s solid. Expect something in the next day or three.

6. Jay says:

Anything as yet? I just installed Miro today, looks great. Good luck with the patch, youtube seems to constantly make changes that close out other apps.

7. Dean Jansen says:

This new version of Miro should fix the problem: http://www.getmiro.com/download/

8. [...] Miro team have fixed the YouTube issue I [...]

9. John says:

Works for me!!! THANKS MIRO!!!

10. Aldi says:

All fixed with the new version :) Thanks for all your hard work, guys!

11. Matthias says:

Miro 1.2.8. no longer shows ‘file not found’, starts downloading (orange arrow), obviously data being transferred, but nothing happens: Waited several minutes but no download

12. Matthias says:

After hard trying on dozens of clips (youtube and other platforms): one or the other download is working, but usually downloading starts and nothing more happens

13. Ralf says:

Where is the Ubuntu package?

It seems linux is getting the short end of the stick again, when it comes to up-to-date builds.
    More importantly, the version in Ubuntu Intrepid repository, 1.2.7, also has this problem, but no Intrepid repository is available here.

I appriciate all your hard work and I love miro. But i this feeling i need to reinstall windows to experience your program in the sort-of-supported it-will-work kind of way is upsetting.

14. Don says:

I just downloaded your program, version 1.2.8 for the MAC. It looks like a wonderful program but it seams there may still be a problem with the You Tube videos. When I start a D/L It stalls out on ‘starting out’ for about 5 min. and then downloads in starts and stops. It took a total of 12 mins. to D/L a 21.MB file. Is this normal? Thanks for your support.

15. will says:

Ralf: Ubuntu Intrepid hasn’t released yet. I don’t start supporting Ubuntu versions until after they’ve released. The Ubuntu MOTU team has Miro 1.2.6 in the main Ubuntu repository. I plan to work with them to do an SRU update to fix the Youtube issue.

Also, I haven’t done a 1.2.8 build for Hardy and Gutsy yet. I’ll get to it tomorrow. It’s been a crazy weekend.

16. Seems like they’ve been tweaking a lot of little things lately. It’s hard to keep up!

17. Pietrodn says:

On Mac OS X 10.5.5 and Miro 1.2.8 (r8366) the YouTube download hang: I start a download and it doesn’t go on.

18. Pietrodn says:

Sorry, now it works. Ignore my previous message.

19. Matthias says:

Same as Pietrodn says valid for Windows XP and Miro 1.2.8.: Either ‘File not found’ or downloads hang. Am I the only one with this problem? In my opinion 1.2.8. doesn’t fix the problem

20. Brian says:

On Max OS X 10.5.5 ad Miro 1.2.8. The fix worked with some feeds but failed with others. The time required to start the download is greatly increased. The fix is better than nothing, but not what it was before the problem.

21. Dean Jansen says:

To everyone who downloaded the 1.2.8 fix before tonight, you might try reinstalling once more. We made a tiny tweak before pushing out the automated update and it should speed your YouTube downloads up a bit. Get the latest at http://getmiro.com/download

22. [...] comunica en su blog, si no se reportan errores y todo es correcto lanzarán Miro 1.2.8 en el sistema de actualizaciones [...]

23. [...] comunica en su blog, si no se reportan errores y todo es correcto lanzarán Miro 1.2.8 en el sistema de actualizaciones [...]

24. Matthias says:

Everything seems o.k. now. Later Version of 1.2.8. is starting and downloading youtube files without difficulties. Thank you.

25. Luis says:

Something is wrong with the youtube videos. I can see them in miro, but the file now shows like a flv icon (which can´t be open with another aplication or corverted) , which means that you can´t use this data at all. Is this because I need an update of adobe flash or something?

26. Chris says:

Miro family thank-you for the information and updates. It is nice to see someone cares about the work they do! Chris at Alohahala

27. RESTguy says:

OK, it’s great that they fixed this, and reasonably promptly. Thanks!

But…

From the patch, it looks like they changed one URL constant to another URL constant. Isn’t this just delaying the inevitable, when Youtube (or any other site) makes a slight change down the road? If Miro was RESTful (as described by Fielding’s dissertation, not as butchered by Wikipedia or Rails or whatnot), this never would have been a problem.

28. Steve says:

New version worked for a while but the dreaded “File not found” has raised it’s head again on more than one source.

29. Dean says:

Steve.

I just tried 1.2.8 and it seems to be working just fine for me… I can download and play YouTube videos.

30. ax0rz says:

1.2.8 doesn’t work with youtube.

31. lucidasans says:

Hi thanks a lot for the update,
    but I have recently done it (to 1.2.8), and it still does not work with youtube videos.
    Even catchv.enjoyitsimply.com can’t do that anymore. Did YT hide de flv link of everything?
    file not found, receiving 404 code status, etc.

32. Steve says:

Just tried again, YouTube, Google both file not found. I think I’ll have to give up with Miro. Nice to begin with but now frustrating. Such a shame.

33. Dean Jansen says:

I’m wondering if this is a geographic thing — where are you downloading from? I tried it last night, and it downloaded YouTube videos fine. Dailymotion videos, on the other hand, are still broken (make sure you’re specifying YouTube for your search).

34. Steve says:

Dean, If you mean where am I based, South Wales, UK

35. Dean Jansen says:

Steve, yeah, that’s what I mean. Because this error is definitely not happening for everyone, anymore.