Miro 2.0 Release Candidate

January 30th, 2009 by Nicholas Reville

The new Miro is almost ready— we’ve just posted a Release Candidate for Miro 2.0. That means it’s close to what we think will be the final version but we want some help making sure we haven’t missed any serious bugs.

Download Miro 2.0 RC1 — Download for Windows — Download for Mac — Download Source

There’s lots of new features and a brand new interface— try it out and let us know if you see anything wrong.

As Dean mentioned last week, we need more volunteers to help with translating and testing. Here’s how you can get involved:

Translating Miro: As many of you know, Miro and the Miro Guide are 100% volunteer translated. If you know any non-English languages, then we’d love to have you translate and/or refine the existing translations. Instructions for helping translate >>

Testing Miro: Using the latest pre-release version of Miro is really fun — and if you’ve got some time to help us run a few tests, we’d be really happy. Testing Steps:

1. Download the pre-release version of Miro 2.0 (Windows, Mac, Linux).
  2. (optional) Back up your Miro database… better safe than sorry.
  3. Install your pre-release.
  4. Help us run Litmus tests. Janet has an easy to follow guide for testing with Litmus.

Thanks!

Note: there is an issue with YouTube downloads on every version of Miro. It should be fixed for RC2.

17 Responses to “Miro 2.0 Release Candidate”

1. Aaron Strontsman says:

Wow. This looks like a very solid upgrade. A bit too much Mac flair under Linux, but all that polish is cool, too. If only you had this sort of application at 1.0 time.

2. Miles Shebar says:

Great. Loved it. However, it was a little slow and skippy playing a .mkv file (Naruto Shippuuden 94, downloadable from narutofan.com) in 1080p HD.

3. Dave says:

The RC seems pretty stable so far. Thank you for all the effort you're putting into this project!
    FYI, your links under "Testing Miro" point to the Jan 20 nightly builds.

4. Dave says:

I came across a bug that causes an occasional hang when pressing the stop button. Is there anything I can do to get useful information about the hung thread?

• Janet says:

The hang was related to the goom visual that was enabled for vlc on windows. We have since backed out that change. You should be able to use the most recent nightly build from http://pculture.org/nightliesand have that solve your problems.

• Dave says:

Very cool! Seems more stable so far. But I'm still wondering how I can help troubleshoot if I find another hang or crash bug?

• ben says:

Hopefully the crashes will be in our python code, so you should get a nice traceback to report in the logs. See GoodBugReports (https://develop.participatoryculture.org/trac/dem…If there's a segfault or a hang things are more difficult. At that point probably the best you can give us is the circumstances leading up to the crash, and if there are a set of actions that reproduce it.

• Dave says:

Thanks, I didn't think to look in temp. Now I think I have a crash bug to report, once I verify it on rc2. I notice there are some timeout messages that say "warning … too slow". Should I post a bug on those?

• Dave says:

Good news, the crash bug I was going to report is gone in rc2! Fixed sometime between r9102 and r9116.

• janet says:

Thanks for looking at this stuff, Dave. Also – the Help menu has a diagnostics option. That will point you to your miro log and give other useful information. It also will point you to your database location if you want to back it up before testing.

Lastly, if you want to do further testing – our regression test cases are posted at http://litmus.pculture.org.

• Dave says:

The test cases look very thorough. I can't promise but I'll at least try to complete a few tonight. (I've never used Litmus — it looks like a great tool I should be using for my projects.)

5. sam says:

There was a error when i tried to play any video some background visualization of miro just played overlaying the normal video can't watch the video propertly but when i tried to revert to miro 1. something its seems it was it uses lates database

6. [...] A release candidate was posted for Miro 2.0 at the end of January 2009, which can be downloaded here. [...]

7. Mirinur says:

there is no file for downloading MAC version.. and in Google Search also..