Getting 2.5 ready for launch

June 4th, 2009 by janet

Our next release, Miro-2.5 is getting closer to launch and we are looking for people to help us test the lastest nightly builds.

As Nicholas mentioned before, this release has some serious speed and memory improvements.  Much of this was accomplished by changes to the database.  To make testing less risky, we have implemented automatic database backups prior to upgrade. Check out the Database Backup page on the testing blog for more details on backup and restore.

A few more of the upcoming features such as library organization changes and improvements to the audio experience are listed here.

Help us prepare another successful release of Miro!

Download for Windows — Download for Mac — Download Source

Test Miro: Use the latest pre-release version — and if you’ve got some time to help us run a few tests,  running the regression tests makes it easier to track the testing coverage.

1. Download the most current testing version of Miro 2.5
  2. (optional) Back up your Miro database… better safe than sorry.
  3. Install your pre-release.
  4. Help us run tests. Get started with the easy to follow guide for testing miro.

Translate Miro: As many of you know, Miro and the Miro Guide are 100% volunteer translated. If you know any non-English languages, then we’d love to have you translate and/or refine the existing translations. Instructions for helping translate >>

15 Responses to “Getting 2.5 ready for launch”

1. [...] Getting 2.5 ready for launch « Miro – Internet TV Blog [...]

2. SlugO says:

I'm glad that things are progressing nicely with Miro but I still have some gripes with it. I'd just like to mention a few:

1. Translations – I've done most of the Finnish translation for Miro but especially in Windows builds Miro's actual translation is non existent. There's very few things that are actually in Finnish. Things are a bit better in Linux but not good enough.

2. Interface – Miro 1.x versions actually looked better in Windows. Now that the interface is quite light it should fit better with Windows' own toolkit. Is there any way to improve this with GTK apps? I know Pidgin also seems a bit off but maybe it bothers me more in Miro since it's a bigger app. Examples: menus, main interface, right click menu for notification icon (which always has to scroll to diplay the choices).

Otherwise I'm quite happy with Miro. It seems to be faster and faster and the program guide is improving nicely. It does make me a bit mad that there's a Sites tab there where none of the content is available for me in Europe but that's just how Hulu and the rest do it…

3. Bend3r says:

1.- Is there a deb repository? (I have found this one, but only get a minor update (to 2.0.4).
    2.- Will Miro detect Youtube file names when saving or it'll keep saving them as Video 1.mp4, Video 2.mp4…
    3.- Will Miro detect changes in the Download folder when other OS make changes (e.g. downloading a video from a channel)?
    4.- Is there a possibility to create a "Miro Store" (like iTunes) to suscribe to podcast of MIT, Stanford… this is a feature that I really miss in Miro compared to iTunes.

Thanks for your effort, I love Miro.

4. Bend3r says:

Thanks for your effort, I love Miro.

5. meintower says:

Are you aware of the fact that ImageMagick version 6.3.3.-5 which Miro has in it's package is reported by Secunia as insecure & vulnerable? Does the new 2.0.5. has this too?Would it be too late to change it with a secure version?!

6. Bubba says:

Hi. I've just installed from svn in order to get around the youtube problem since they changed the way they work.

It feels a lot faster to me, and also an old problem I've had for ages is gone, which I could only describe as "screen mashup" when scrolling very long feeds (Probably > 400 is where it kicked in).

I would also like to recommend strongly what Bend3r said "Will Miro detect Youtube file names when saving or it'll keep saving them as Video 1.mp4, Video 2.mp4.."

This should be simple to add, and would really make organization much better, as I don't tend to keep everything in Movies, and having to keep checking what file is what in Miro is a pain.

Also, it would be really nice if the library had some idea of directories/folders, playlists don't really make up for this problem IMO, it would be nice to be able to really organize things in the Library.

Thanks for all the good work though, Miro has been progressing very well, and I've not even been using it very long.

7. soso2 says:

Miro great hope that there will be a copy of Arabic دردشة language

8. BobCFC says:

Any news on Flash in Linux yet?

I can't test it on Karmic Alpha because of a missing lib

9. Bend3r says:

No problem with flash in karmic (x64) so far. I have the x64 plugin (not the repository x32 version with ndiswrapper). I have no problem with flash (I start using it in karmic alfa 2).

10. Peter K says:

Anyone know when the next version of Miro 2.5 is coming out?

11. I Follow says:

There are still many languages that need volunteers to translate..

12. That's a good info thank you so much. Hope that I will not face any problem